Parties in my late 20s:
- Starts around 8 PM
- People show up around 10 PM
- Eat and drink to excess
- Listen to loud offensive music
- Try to flirt with girls
- Get home some time after 2 AM
- Sleep until late afternoon the following day.
Parties in my late 30s:
- Starts around 4 PM
- Families show up around 4:05 PM
- Eat healthy, drink moderately
- Listen to the “80s Rock” channel on Pandora
- Collectively supervise all the children playing in the sprinkler
- Get home by 9 PM
- Get up the following morning at about the same time as every other day of the week.
Note that this isn’t a complaint about getting older. The party we hosted this weekend was indubitably one of our best ones yet. Everyone had a great time: adults enjoyed friendly and intelligent conversation, and the kids had a blast running around like kids.
Things change over time, including the definition of a successful party.