A year in the life ...
The State of Ohio requires that step-parents wait one year before they're allowed to adopt their step-children. 365 days seems like a long time, especially when you're waiting for something you're really looking forward to. The kids are eager for the adoption, as are Carina and I, and we're all looking forward to a big celebration when it's all finished.
Reflecting on the past year, it's amazing what can happen in that period of time:
- I got married.
- We had a lovely honeymoon.
- I celebrated my birthday in another country for the first time.
- My best friend got married.
- The girls began calling me "daddy".
- I tried to write a novel.
- I got to be a vampire for Halloween.
- I went rock climbing.
- I went rolling skating.
- I marvelled as my six-year-old daughter did somersaults off the high-dive board at the pool.
- I confirmed Tayler's suspicion that her mom and I were Santa Claus, and swore her to secrecy until Tyler figures it out herself.
- I tended to two cases of chicken pox.
- I climbed a mountain with my family.
- I cheered as Tyler scored two goals in her first soccer game.
- I've become extremely fond of grilling out.
- I've fallen asleep every night, and woken up every morning, next to my best girl.
I look forward to the day when I can watch my girls raising children of their own.