Not entirely subtle
I asked Carina to purchase a box of fortune cookies for me at the store while she was doing her regular grocery shopping. She was kind enough to buy two boxes, one of which was “Fortune Cookies for Kids”. Most of the fortunes seemed as appropriate for adults as they did for kids, save one. The big difference between the kid-specific fortune cookies and the normal adult servings is that the kids’ fortunes contain helpful advice on the reverse side of the fortune (where the “Learn Chinese” sections might be on normal fortunes). These tidbits of advice all say the same thing: don’t do drugs. But they’re written to sound like fortune cookie fortunes:
- Best road is no smoking, no alcoholic drinks, or no to unlawful drugs.
- Protect your health and say no: to unlawful drugs.
- Exercise or sports may help to strengthen your body – keep away from illegal drugs.
- A healthy mind can help. Try to avoid alcoholic drinks and illegal drugs.
- Illegal drugs, smoking, alcoholic drinks are like poison – try to keep your body healthy and avoid it.
- A word about unlawful drugs – avoid it.
As for the only kid-specific fortune?
Your clean, shiny teeth make your smile even brighter.