WordPress categories are great for grouping posts of a similar nature together, but creating a new (sub-)category every time you have a series of posts can be tedious. Sometimes you might not have enough posts in the series to justify a whole new category. Or perhaps each post in the series belongs in seperate categories. Various plugins exist to link posts together by various criteria; but no elegant solution existed to definitively link sequential posts in a series, regardless of when they were posted, or to which categories they belong. Until now!
In-Series provides an easy, future-proof way to connect a series of posts. If you have a series of articles on your site, and you want to ensure your readers can follow the sequence within the series, In-Series will help you provide the links between the posts and articles, improving your site's navigation.
The plugin creates three new template tags available for use in your theme's
- displays a link to the previous post in the series, if there is one. If the current post is the first post in the series, this template tag will not display anything.
- displays a link to the next post in the series, if there is one. If the current post is the last post in the series, this template tag will not display anything.
- displays a list of links to each post in the series. The current post is not linked, to ensure the reader knows where in the series they are.
- displays a clickable link for each post's title as an ordered list(<ol><li>...</li></ol>)
Then simply apply two new custom fields to the posts in your series:
- a unique name for the series
- the current post's position in the series
Examples are provided in the
in-series.txt included in the zip file.
: Thanks to Lorelle for spotting an error with sorting long tables of contents; and to ColdForged and necrotic for their help pointing me toward the solution. Version 1.2 is now available.
: Thanks to Lorelle for the suggestion to make a table of contents! Version 1.1 includes the new function
: Thanks to Monika for alerting me to an error in
seriestableofcontents. This is fixed, and version 1.3 is now available for download.
: Version 1.4 is now available for download. It fixes a flaw in the sorting of posts in a series.
: Version 1.5 is now available. Thanks to ioerror for pointing out that previous versions incorrectly included draft posts in the series. Also added
: Version 1.6 is now available. Thanks again to io_error for pointing out that static pages were excluded from series. You can now construct a series composed of posts and pages.
Download In-Series 1.6!